Steve is a Managing Partner at Young Wooldridge, LLP, and has been a member of the law firm’s Water Law and Special Districts Department for over 30 years. Born and raised in the farming community of Buttonwillow, Steve has unique life experience that he has combined with great technical abilities and expertise in the legal and regulatory areas of surface water and groundwater rights and water transfer laws, the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) and other groundwater laws, CEQA and other environmental laws, public agency and special districts laws, eminent domain law, public works contract law, and water quality laws.
Steve’s specialized water resources practice has focused on working with numerous water agencies locally and throughout the State. Steve provides both general counsel and litigation services for his clients, which include water districts, SGMA Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs), and Joint Powers Authorities, with groundwater banking projects and surface supplies from various rivers and the state (SWP) and federal (CVP) water projects.
Steve likes staying active in the local community and is involved with several water resource organizations. He is a graduate of the Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Bakersfield program, a past board member of the Italian Heritage Dante Association, and a member of the Board of Directors and treasurer of the Water Association of Kern County (WAKC). Steve is also a member of the State Legislative Committee of the California Association of Water Agencies (ACWA), and the vice-chair of the steering committee for the Valley Ag Water Coalition (VAWC).
- Bakersfield College, 1985-1986
- B.S., Agricultural Management, cum laude, California State Polytechnic, San Luis Obispo, 1990
- J.D., McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, 1993
- Water Association of Kern County, Treasurer
- Greater Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce
- Buttonwillow Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture
- Italian Heritage Dante Association
- Attorney Coach, Stockdale High School Mock Trial Team, Kern County Champions, 1997-2001
- The Law Offices of Young Wooldridge, LLP, Marketing Committee Member, 1999-2006
- Greater Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Bakersfield Class of 2000
- The Law Offices of Young Wooldridge, LLP, Capital Partner, 2001-present
- The Law Offices of Young Wooldridge, LLP, Co-Managing Partner, 2006-present