Partner | Water, Land and Environmental Law
Born and raised in the farming community of Buttonwillow, Steven M. Torigiani has unique life experience that he has combined with great technical abilities in the legal areas of environmental law, agricultural, land use, eminent domain, California Environment Quality Act (CEQA), water and public agency law.
He attended both Garces and Shafter high schools and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where he graduated cum laude with a bachelor of science degree in 1990. Steve earned his juris doctorate from the McGeorge School of Law at the University of the Pacific and was admitted to the California State Bar in 1993.
Steve effectively represented the Arvin Edison Water Storage District in an appellate court case that upheld the validity of an ordinance banning the application of certain classifications of bio-solids on Kern County agricultural lands. In other appellate court cases, Steve successfully represented the North Kern Water Storage District against Kern Delta Water District, where the court applied the law of forfeiture to reduce senior pre-1914 appropriative water rights on the Kern River; and the Semitropic Water Storage District which prevailed in a CEQA case where the court upheld a negative declaration for a water storage project. The North Kern Water Storage District case resolved a water dispute that had arisen decades earlier and involved two lengthy trials and appeals.
Steve has also successfully represented a group of landowners against the City of Bakersfield arguing that CEQA was violated when the city approved amendments to a hillside development ordinance based on a negative declaration when an EIR was required.
When away from the office, Steven enjoys spending time with his wife Sarah, cycling, running, cooking and pizza making.
- B.S., Agricultural Management, cum laude, California State Polytechnic, San Luis Obispo, 1990
- J.D., McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, 1993
- California State Bar, 1993
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California, 1993
- United States District Court, Central District of California, 1993
Business & Professional Associations:
- Greater Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce
- Buttonwillow Chamber of Commerce
- Italian Heritage Dante Association
- Kern County Bar Association
Honors, Awards & Achievements:
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: BV
- Attorney Coach, Stockdale High School Mock Trial Team, Kern County Champions (1997-2001)
- Young Wooldridge, LLP, Marketing Committee Member (1999 – 2006)
- Greater Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Bakersfield Class of 2000
- Young Wooldridge, LLP, Capital Partner (2001 – present)
- Young Wooldridge, LLP, Co-Managing Partner (2006 – present)